Sunshine Award

This was sent to me via a teacher who comes from a long line of amazing women and teachers! Jill Clayton at The Bird’s Nest was sweet enough to include me on this chain and I though I would give it a try:

Here is a description of this blogging, twitter-generated, meme-type task:

The Sunshine Award gives others an opportunity to learn about me as a blogger and then, in turn, I will send sunshine the way of 11 (or so) other fine bloggers for you to get to know! Although I know every one is busy at this time of year, I hope the bloggers I nominate will be able to share a few interesting things about themselves. They can then highlight bloggers that they have enjoyed following.

Here are the rules:

Acknowledge the nominating blogger. Share 11 random facts about yourself. Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you. List 11 bloggers. They should be bloggers you believe deserve some recognition! Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.)

11 Random Facts about Me

1.  I grew up at a lighthouse station near the small community of Sointula.  Coming from a small, rural community has affected me in ways I am still learning.  I will never live in a big city.

2.  I grew up with a pet peacock, goats, a pig and chickens (which terrified me as a child) but never a dog.

3.  I was sent to live “in town” with another family when I was in Grade 3.

4.  I could never live far from an ocean.

5.  Someday  I want to be a midwife.

6.  I hold onto regret and anger way to long and I am working on changing that.

7.  I love men with beards.

8.  I secretly like hockey – but don’t tell my kids or husband.

9.  I am almost finished my masters which I am very happy about but love the professional reading and conversations it has given me the opportunity to experience.

10.  CBC radio is my absolute favourite radio station and it is always on in my car and in the kitchen.  When they changed the “As it Happens” theme song I was so disappointed.

11. Sometimes reflection gets in the way of action for me.

Now the questions Jill had for me:

1. If you had an entire day to spend by yourself what would you do?

I would love to sit by the beach, in the sun, sand and play in water!

2. My favourite animal is …. because…

I like fish and frogs

3. What worries you about your job?

That I am not doing it well.  I feel so much responsibility for students who are not succeeding

4. If you were a photographer, what images would you capture?

Flowers make me happy, I love the intense colour and intricacy nature provides us.

5. What is your favourite children’s book? Why?

So many to pick from and there seems to be a new one every year but Anything by Pheobe Gilman has written, especially Jillian Jiggs is my go to.  I guess mostly because she is Canadian and wrote rhyming books before everyone did.  Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins is one of my favourite holiday stories.  The kids are so quiet when I read it.  I love Little Blue and Little Yellow.

6. What is hanging on your living room (any room) wall that you cherish the most?

I have a picture that my father gave me for my wedding.  It is a print called “A Day of Chinook” by Noel Wotten, it isn’t exactly my favourite print but it reminds me of family and where I come from.

7. Describe your most memorable road trip or vacation.

A couple of years ago during Spring Break we went down the Oregon Coast staying in yurts in the state parks.  It was a wonderful trip, relaxed, beautiful, lots to do.  It was one of the best family trips we have ever taken, not expensive and didn’t take too much planning.

8. What is your favourite type of cheese?

I too HATE goat’s milk but love goat cheese, in fact I love all kinds of cheese!!! except blue cheese – and I did hear about an artist who grew mould out of bacteria from parts of the human body… that doesn’t sound pleasant at all.

9. If you cooked your best meal for your family/friends what would it be?

My kids are not adventuresome when it comes to food.  My cooking has become very boring and predictable since having kids, however they do love curry though, so butter chicken, some type of curry with naan bread or just plan old meatloaf and baked potatoes

10. What do you think about t.v.?

I love T.V. NEver having a TV as a child has made me strangely addicted… watch way too much of it and sometimes hate the noise.

11. Who is a person that you would like to get to know more about?

hummm…. so many.  Not sure.  I love history and would love to know about pioneer women who went to the remote and rural areas with their husbands or women who came to live with men they had never met in person.

Here are the bloggers that I would like to acknowledge and encourage (share some sunshine with) as their blogs inspire in a variety of ways:

So many have already done this! So I will try not to repost their blogs and share new ones…and this is getting harder …

Melody Watson -an amazing educator!

Kristen Widden – another wow and sooo great to work with

Mr Widden – Kristen’s husband who is VERY helpful for nontechy folks like me! (and the only male on this list!)

Victoria Olson – I discovered already nominated and answered but her site is definitely worth sharing.

Mardelle Sauerborn – a kindergarten teacher with a passion!

Carole Saundry (Fullerton) – A great math blog I love

Niki Leech – a Surrey Grade 1 teacher – I was lucky enough to meet!

Carrie Gelson – a teacher who also has passion for children and social justice. She makes me cry all the time!

Zoe Branigan-Pipe – a teacher who helped me very early on in this jungle…..

Erin Gregory – because I am interested in her answers.

Kristi Graham – a teacher who will try anything!

I can’t wait to hear the answers to these questions and hear who you share.

My Questions for Bloggers

1.  What is your middle name and why do you have it?

2.  Who is your favourite female family member and why?

3.  What do you do that you wish you didn’t?

4.  What is your secret addiction? or a confession you are willing to make.

5.  If you could do any other job what would it be?

6.  What is your favourite breakfast meal?

7.  What sport would you love to be good at?

8.  Do you watch the Olympics on TV? Why or why not?

9.  What is in your freezer right now?

10.  What were you afraid of as a child?

11.  What is your favourite colour? Why?

2 thoughts on “Sunshine Award

1. Hi Sarah,
    I enjoyed reading about your childhood at the lighthouse. Wow, a midwife! That makes a great deal of sense to me – a very good fit!

I look forward to reading the blogs of those you have nominated.

Sincerely, Jill